The Metamorph Challenge League
- Challenge leagues are a great opportunity for a fresh start in a new economy. All of your old characters and items are still present in the Standard and Hardcore leagues, but you’re encouraged to join the new leagues, complete challenges and demonstrate your mastery of Path of Exile!
- In the Metamorph Challenge League, fellow exile Tāne Octavius is investigating the source of ill intent in the world; what he calls “The Intrinsic Darkness”. Help him by harvesting flesh samples from monsters throughout Wraeclast and combining them to summon powerful, transforming bosses: Metamorphs.
- The more difficult the encounter you create, the greater the rewards. A new type of currency, the Catalyst, is available only by creating and defeating these powerful new foes. Catalysts can be used to increase the quality of your rings, belts and amulets in specific ways, enhancing certain types of modifiers.
- Once you reach maps, you’ll be able to acquire samples from map bosses in different areas and combine them in Tāne’s lab for fights that are extra difficult (but extra rewarding!).
- With 3.9.0, there are Standard, Hardcore and Solo Self-Found variations of the Metamorph challenge league available. They have the same core mechanics and items. You can create private league versions of these leagues, with mods that make the game harder.
- The new challenge leagues include a set of 40 new challenges. When you complete 12 challenges, you will receive the Metamorph Footprints effect. When you reach 24 challenges, you will receive the Metamorph Weapon effect. At 36 challenge completed you’ll receive the Metamorph Portal effect. These microtransactions are only obtainable in this league.
- From the 19th challenge onwards and for every third challenge after that, you will receive pieces of the Metamorph Totem Pole decoration to display in your hideout. The Totem Pole permanently showcases how many of the Metamorph challenges you completed during the league.
Major New Content and Features
- Conquerors of the Atlas: A brand new endgame mapping experience. The Shaper and the Elder have both been defeated! …Just not by you. Another group of Exiles has saved Wraeclast from these celestial harbingers of doom, but that wasn’t enough. They continued to cut paths through the Atlas, leaving carnage in their wake, and forcing Zana to seal them in the Atlas forever. But they are trying to find a way out… Can you stop them before they bring ruin to Oriath? Featuring 5 new endgame boss encounters, powerful rewards (including new currencies), and new ways to modify your Atlas.
- Added a new Dexterity Skill Gem – Artillery Ballista: Summons a Ballista Totem that propels a sequence of fiery arrows into the air. The arrows impact the ground in a line, each dealing area damage to the enemies around it.
- Added a new Dexterity Skill Gem – Shrapnel Ballista: Summons a Ballista Totem that fires multiple arrows with extreme force, breaking them apart into shrapnel. Enemies can be hit by multiple arrows from the same attack.
- Added a new Dexterity Skill Gem – Ensnaring Arrow: Fires an arrow that remains in the ground behind its final target, tethering that enemy to it. Ensnared enemies always count as moving, and have less movement speed while trying to break the snare. The snare will break if they leave the area of effect.
- Added a new Dexterity Support Gem – Greater Volley Support: Supports skills that fire projectiles from the user. Supported skills fire 4 additional projectiles. Supported skills also fire projectiles from up to 4 points on each side of you. It’s like Volley, but greater.
- Added a new Dexterity Support Gem – Arrow Nova Support: Supports bow attack skills that fire arrows forwards as projectiles. These skills will instead fire a payload arrow into the air that lands at a targeted location. The supported skills’ arrows then fire out in a circle from where it lands.
- Added a new Dexterity Support Gem – Barrage Support: Supports projectile attack skills that use bows or wands. Supported skills fire projectiles sequentially. Supported skills fire 3 additional projectiles and have more attack time per projectile.
- Added new currencies: Crusader’s Exalted Orb, Hunter’s Exalted Orb, Redeemer’s Exalted Orb and Warlord’s Exalted Orb. Each of these currencies will add an additional modifier to a rare item from its associated pool of Influence modifiers.
- Added new currency: Awakener’s Orb. This item can be used on any item with influence (such as a Shaper-influenced Ring), and then any item of the same type (a ring in this case) to transfer that influence to the new item. The original item will be destroyed as a result of this process, but some of the original item’s mods may be carried over to the destination item. An item can have two Influence types attached to it if they are transferred in this way.
- Added 16 new Unique Items.
- Added 35 Awakened Support Gems, which are more powerful versions of existing Support Gems. These Gems are only available from the Conquerors of the Atlas content.
- Added 14 new Divination Cards, designed by our Supporters.
Minor New Content and Features
- You can now add Item Filters to your account through the Path of Exile website. When you then log into your game client, no matter where you are logging in from, you will then have access to all of the Item Filters tied to your account (even if you’re playing on Console!).
- Lioneye’s Watch has been visually updated and uses our latest rendering technology.
- There’s a new loading screen as you enter Lioneye’s Watch to match the town’s new look.
- Added a vendor recipe for your spare Catalysts.
- You can now refund multi-choice passives (such as those on the Ascendant) to reselect your choice without having to refund all the passives after them as well.
- Added 3D Art for Torchoak Step and Machina Mitts.
- Ranged attack totems are now called Ballistas and have a cool new look. It’s a Ballista!
- A lot of ranged attack skills have received major visual improvements, including the basic wand and bow attacks, Burning Arrow, Barrage and Puncture.
- Arrows that collide with terrain now have a chance of bouncing off. This doesn’t do anything other than look really cool (and help performance in situations where players are firing thousands of arrows).
- Other skills have also received visual improvements, including Firestorm, Frostblink, Freezing Pulse, Heavy Strike, Magma Orb, Summon Skeletons, all the Warcry skills, Lightning Tendrils, Flesh Offering, Arc and Sunder
- Added Labyrinth Enchantments for the new skills, as well as for Burning Arrow and Explosive Arrow.
- The Cosmetics Filter will now also check the description of your Cosmetics, rather than just the name.
- Improved the Shadow’s double-dagger Dual Strike animation.
- Continued to incrementally improve the sound, art, effects and environments.
- The Atlas of Worlds has been reworked. You now start at the centre and will work your way outwards as you explore a new storyline.
- The Shaper and Elder storyline is gone and has been replaced by a story that takes place in the aftermath of the old story.
- Added 5 new difficult endgame bosses, each with their own special loot, including several new item types.
- Added a new mechanic – Watchstones: These can only be obtained by defeating one of the new Atlas bosses. They can be used to raise the tier of all maps in a particular region of the Atlas, causing all maps of those base types to drop at the new higher tier.
- Sextants can no longer be applied to individual maps, and no longer have a radius. They are now applied to Watchstones instead, and affect every map in that Watchstone’s region. They are not restricted by map tier, and if two or more Watchstones contain the same Sextant modifier, only one will apply. Also, they’ve been renamed.
- Zana can now sell Shaper- and Elder-influenced maps once you have progressed your Atlas enough. These act like the old Atlas influence, creating new monsters, threats, and rewards.
- The Zana modifiers that change map tiers or reroll map basetypes have been disabled, at least for now.
- Unique maps can now drop with varied tiers based on the state of your Atlas. Maps that previously had monster level overrides (such as Hallowed Ground) now instead rely on the variable tier.
Blight Mechanics Added to the Core Game
- Blight has been added to the core game! You will have a 10% chance to encounter Cassia and her beautiful singing while exploring the Atlas.
- Each Blight encounter will award at least one Oil or Blighted Map.
- Cassia will say some nonsense early on because we haven’t updated her script yet. Sorry!
- Fortify’s damage reduction effect is now multiplicative with other similar effects.
- Shock and Chill calculations have been changed. In general, it is much easier to Shock and Chill monsters with low values of the ailment, but harder to reach high values of Shock and Chill. The formula used to calculate Shock and Chill magnitudes is now: 1/2*[Damage % of Ailment Threshold (see below) ]^0.4
- We’ve added an Ailment Threshold to monsters. In the great majority of cases, the Ailment Threshold matches the monster’s Maximum Life. It primarily differs for especially high-life monsters (such as The Shaper), where the threshold is reduced to allow ailments to be applied with hits that wouldn’t ordinarily reach the required Life thresholds.
- The minimum Shock and Chill value is now 5% (from 1%). To reach the minimum, you must deal 0.4% of a monster’s Ailment Threshold with the associated element in a single hit. To inflict a 10% Chill you must deal 1.8% of a monster’s Ailment Threshold with the associated element in a single hit. A 30% Chill requires a hit of 28% of the monster’s Ailment Threshold.
- The default Shock magnitude for effects that apply Shock without damage (such as Skitterbots) is now 15% (from 20%).
- The alternate ailments Sap, Scorch and Brittle have a slightly different calculation as they have lower caps on their magnitudes.
Shrapnel Shot (now called Galvanic Arrow)
- Now fires 2 additional Arrows at all levels.
- The arrows now degrade in flight, eventually vanishing. This limits the skill’s base range. Modifiers to Projectile Speed will allow the arrows to travel farther before they vanish.
- Still deals a burst of damage in a cone. Increases and reductions to Arrow Speed also apply to this skill’s area of effect, so increases to Projectile Speed will cause your cone to also reach farther.
- Now gains added Lightning Damage as the gem levels, up to 9 to 179 at gem level 20.
- Now gains 1% increased Projectile Speed per 1% gem quality (from 1% increased Area of Effect per 2% gem quality).
- Arrows no longer pierce by default.
- Now costs 8 mana at gem level 1 (from 18), up to 10 at gem level 20 (from 27).
- Arrows stick into the enemy or wall and explode after a duration. The duration no longer refreshes whenever a new arrow is attached (previously they were handled like “charges”, which refresh their duration whenever a new one is gained).
- If an enemy has multiple arrows stuck in them, the first one to explode will consume all other attached arrows, adding their damage to the first arrow’s explosion.
- On-hit effects such as Chance to Knockback are determined by the exploding arrow, however each arrow calculates it’s own damage, including critical strike chance and damaging ailments independently, and these are summed to create one hit. Each arrow checks it’s own critical strike chance, and only has it’s critical multiplier applied to that arrow’s portion of the damage if that arrow rolls a critical strike, but if any of the arrows roll a critical strike, this combined explosion will be considered a crit for on-crit effects. The same is true of damaging ailments such as ignite. For example, if the exploding arrow did not successfully roll a critical strike or ignite, that part of the explosion will have no ignite damage or critical strike multiplier. If two other arrows were also attached at the point of the explosion and they successfully rolled to critically strike, they will add their critical strike damage to the explosion, and the explosion will cause an ignite from their summed ignite damage.
- Explosions now also deal added fire damage based on gem level, up to 522 to 783 at gem level 20 (from 586 to 879).
- Now inherits its base critical strike chance from your weapon (previously had a 6% base critical strike chance).
- Now gains +2 to explosion radius up to a cap determined by gem level, up to +19 at gem level 20. Previously it naturally capped at +10 due to the charge limit.
- Explosions now deal 3% more damage with Ignite per explosive arrow on the target.
- All Ballista Totem skills (such as Siege Ballista and Ranged Attack Totem, which has been renamed Ballista Totem) now place the totem at Melee range.
- The range at which Arc can chain to another enemy is now 35 units (from 25).
- Now deals 30% of base damage at gem level 1 (from 40%), up to 36% at gem level 20 (from 48%).
- Sources of additional projectiles now add additional explosions.
- Now has 5 additional projectiles at all levels (from 4).
- Now converts 100% of Physical Damage to Fire Damage (from 50%).
- Now has 50% chance to Ignite Enemies at all gem levels (previously 30% at gem level 1, up to 49% at gem level 20).
- Now deals 50% more damage with Ignite at gem level 1 (from 30%), up to 88% at gem level 20 (From 68%).
- Now applies an additional debuff when you Ignite, dealing extra burning damage based on the magnitude of the Ignite.
- Now gains +1% to Fire Damage over Time Multiplier per 2% gem quality (from 3% increased Ignite duration per 1% gem quality).
- Now deals 8.8 base Chaos Damage per second at gem level 1 (from 7), up to 1927.1 at gem level 20 (from 1714.8).
- Now gains additional radius as the gem levels, up to +6 at gem level 20 (from +3).
- No longer has a target limit (previously limited to 30 targets).
- Now deals 22 to 40 added Fire Damage at gem level 1 (from 23 to 43), up to 480 to 891 at gem level 20 (from 590 to 1096).
- Now deals 18 to 33 added Cold Damage at gem level 1 (from 19 to 35), up to 392 to 729 at gem level 20 (from 483 to 896).
- Now deals 4 to 67 added Lightning Damage at gem level 1 (from 4 to 70), up to 77 to 1465 at gem level 20 (from 95 to 1802).
- The art now more accurately reflects the rate at which damage dealt by projectiles is reduced.
- No longer leaves Chilled Ground on impact.
- Now deals 130% of base damage at gem level 1 (from 120%), up to 174% at gem level 20 (from 147%).
- Now Chills enemies as though dealing 100% more Damage at gem level 1, up to 195% at gem level 20.
- Now gains increased effect of Chill as the gem levels, up to 19% at gem level 20.
- Icicle Mine was providing enormous area coverage and damage at very little cost, and was also causing performance problems. These changes are intended to bring Icicle Mine in line with other mines, as well as alleviate the performance issues it was causing.
- The projectiles now fade over time, similar to Freezing Pulse, but without the gradual damage drop-off. In other words, the mines will have a shorter range by default, but can be increased by increasing the skill’s Projectile Speed.
- Now has 4 additional projectiles at all levels (from 6 at gem level 20).
- Now gains 1% increased Projectile Speed per 1% gem quality (from 1% increased Projectile Damage per 1% gem quality).
- Now has a base attack time multiplier of 85% (from 80%).
- Now deals 135% of base damage at gem level 1 (from 130%), up to 180% at gem level 20 (from 175%).
- Now grants 1% increased Impale Effect per 1% gem quality (from 1% chance to Impale per 2% gem quality).
- Now deals 110% of base damage at gem level 1 (from 100%), up to 134% at gem level 20 (from 119%).
- Now Shocks enemies as though dealing 100% more damage at gem level 1, up to 195% at gem level 20.
- Now gains increased effect of Shock as the gem levels, up to 29% at gem level 20.
- Now gains 1% chance to Shock and 0.5% increased effect of Shock per 1% gem quality (previously gained 1% chance to Shock per 1% gem quality).
Lightning Spire Trap
- Now deals 12 to 26 Lightning Damage at gem level 1 (from 14 to 43), up to 166 to 497 at gem level 20 (from 195 to 585).
- Now strikes every 0.55 seconds at gem level 1, up to 0.36 seconds at gem level 20 (from 0.3 seconds at all gem levels).
- If you now cast multiple Lighting Warps rapidly, you will travel between all of them as they trigger the warp. The timing for each subsequent warp is based on the distance from the previous warp.
- Now deals 120% of base damage at gem level 1, up to 139% at gem level 20 (from 130%).
Orb of Storms
- Now deals 2 to 7 Lightning Damage at gem level 1 (from 3 to 9), up to 185 to 555 at gem level 20 (from 195 to 584).
- Now strikes every 1.5 seconds at gem level 1, up to 1.02 seconds at gem level 20 (from 1 second at all gem levels).
- Now gains additional Melee range as the gem levels, up to +2 at gem level 20.
- Now causes cursed enemies to have -20% to Reduced Physical Damage Taken.
- The duration of the buff granted by cursed enemies when they hit you now matches the base duration of the curse, which is 9 seconds at gem level 1 (from 4).
Rain of Arrows
- Now deals 48% of base damage at gem level 1 (from 40%), up to 60% at gem level 20 (from 50%).
- Additional Maximum Spectres are now unlocked at gem levels 13 and 25 (from 11 and 21).
- The Zombie Slam ability now has a 6 second cooldown (from 4) and has a base radius of 17 units (from 28). The slam is now slower and has 30% less base damage effectiveness at gem level 1, rising to the previous damage effectiveness around gem level 17. Note that these changes are not visible on the skill gem.
- Base Zombie damage has been reduced by approximately 25% at all gem levels.
- No longer grants Zombies more life as the gem levels (but the Zombies themselves do gain base life with each gem level, like other minions).
- Now increases Zombie Slam Area of Effect as the gem levels, up to 76% at gem level 20.
- Now deals 28% of base damage at gem level 1 (from 40%), up to 35% at gem level 20 (from 49%).
- Now adds 20 to 30 Chaos Damage at gem level 1, up to 113 to 169 at gem level 20.
- Now has a base attack time multiplier of 85% (from 80%).
- Now deals 48% of base damage at gem level 1 (from 45%), up to 55% at gem level 20 (from 50%).
- The buff granted by Smoke Mine now grants 10% increased Movement Speed at gem level 1 (from 20%), up to 29% at gem level 20 (same as previously).
- Now requires level 12 at gem level 1 (from level 4).
- Now deals 100% of base damage at gem level 1 (from 140%), up to 145% at gem level 20 (from 170%).
- Now grants +2 to your maximum number of summoned totems at all gem levels.
- Now grants 1% increased Projectile Damage per 1% gem quality (previously granted 1% increased Totem Placement Speed per 1% gem quality)
- Now has an attack time multiplier of 110% (from 100%).
- Now adds 1 to 2 Attack Physical Damage at gem level 1, up to 56 to 85 at gem level 20.
- Now has a base duration of 0.6 seconds at all gem levels (from 0.4).
- Now deals 2 to 7 Lightning Damage at gem level 1 (from 3 to 10), up to 334 to 1002 at gem level 20 (from 305 to 915).
Summon Raging Spirit
- Summoned Raging Spirits will now try to travel to the location your cursor was over at the point they were summoned, unless they find an enemy before they arrive.
- The secondary projectiles now fade over time, similar to Freezing Pulse, but without the gradual damage drop-off. In other words, the secondary projectiles will have a shorter range by default, but can be increased by increasing the skill’s Projectile Speed.
- Now deals 7.9 base Chaos Damage per second at gem level 1 (from 6.7), up to 285.1 at gem level 20 (from 283.7).
Vaal Burning Arrow
- 100% of Physical Damage is now converted to Fire Damage (from 50%).
- Now has a 50% chance to Ignite Enemies at all gem levels (from 30% at gem level 1, up to 49% at gem level 20).
- Now deals 150% more damage with Ignite at gem level 1 (from 30%), up to 188% at gem level 20 (from 68%).
- Now gains +1% to Fire Damage over Time Multiplier per 2% gem quality (previously 3% increased Ignite Duration per 1% gem quality).
Vaal Spectral Throw
- Now has an attack time multiplier of 110% (from 100%).
- Now deals 90% of base damage at gem level 1 (from 80%), up to 115% at gem level 20 (from 104%).
- Now has a limit of 60 Orbs.
Support Gem Reworks
Ranged Attack Totem Support (Now called Ballista Totem Support)
- Supported skills now deal 50% less Damage at gem level 1 (from 30%), up to 41% less at gem level 20 (from 26%).
- Supported skills now summon a Ballista Totem, rather than a regular Totem.
- Supported skills now have +2 to maximum number of Summoned Ballista Totems.
- Attacks used by totem now have 50% less Attack Speed at all gem levels (from 30% less).
Support Gem Balance
Feeding Frenzy Support
- The Feeding Frenzy buff now grants 10% increased attack, cast, and movement speed to your minions (from 15%).
- Minions from supported skills now deal 5% more damage while you have the Feeding Frenzy buff at gem level 1 (from 15%), up to 15% at gem level 20 (from 24%).
- Fortify is now multiplicative with other sources of damage reduction.
- Now grants supported skills -30% to Total Physical damage Reduction against Impale Hits at all gem levels.
- Supported skills now deal 5% more Damage per Inspiration Charge at gem level 1 (same as previously), up to 7% at gem level 20 (from 8%).
- Supported skills now have 6% increased Critical Strike Chance per Inspiration Charge at gem level 1 (from 7%), up to 8% at gem level 20 (from 10%).
Lesser Multiple Projectiles Support
- Supported skills now deal 15% less Projectile Damage at gem level 1 (from 25%), up to 6% less at gem level 20 (from 16%).
Minion Damage Support
- Supported skills now deal 25% more damage at gem level 1 (from 30%), up to 49% at gem level 20 (no change from previously).
- Now gains 1% increased damage from minions from supported skills per 2% quality (previously gained 1.5% per 2% quality).
Mirage Archer Support
- The Mirage Archer now deals 40% less Damage with Supported Skills at gem level 1 (from 30%), up to 31% less at gem level 20 (from 11%). Its targeting distance has been lowered to 70 units (from 105).
- Supported skills now have 20% chance (from 25%) to grant Onslaught for 3 seconds (from 8 seconds) on dealing a Killing Blow at gem level 1, up to 39% chance (from 44%) to grant Onslaught for 6.8 seconds (from 8 seconds) at gem level 20.
- Now gains 1% increased Attack and Cast Speed per 2% gem quality (from 1% increased Attack and Cast Speed per 4% gem quality).
Point Blank Support
- Supported skills’ Projectile Attack Hits now deal up to 30% more damage to targets at the start of their movement (from 50%).
- Supported skills now deal 12% less Projectile Damage at gem level 1 (from 25%), up to 3% less at gem level 20 (from 16%).
- Now has new art!
Passive Tree Balance
- The Point Blank keystone now causes projectiles to deal 30% more damage to very close enemies (from 50%), dealing up to 30% less damage based on the distance the projectile travels before it hits (from 50% less).
- Added a new cluster to the south-east of the Ranger: Watchtowers. This cluster provides bonuses to attack totems, and allows you to summon an additional Ballista Totem.
- The Ironwood cluster has moved to south of the Duelist, has been expanded, and now includes two additional notables: Panopticon and Surveillance.
- The movement speed for Minions granted by the Ravenous Horde cluster has been halved.
- The Graceful Assault cluster has moved closer to the Ranger (from south of the Duelist).
- The Honed Edge cluster has moved one passive to the east.
- The Ambidexterity/Blade Barrier cluster has moved east several passives.
- The Retaliation/Testudo wheel is now where Ambidexterity/Blade Barrier used to be.
- The Bludgeon Blitz and Swagger clusters have both moved one passive to the west.
- The Lava Lash notable now also grants +8% to Fire Damage over Time Multiplier.
- Added a new cluster to the east of the Shadow — Shocking Strikes: Grants increased Lightning Damage with Attack Skills, Chance to Shock, increased Effect of Shock and increased Critical Strike Chance against Shocked Enemies.
- Added a new cluster between the Ranger and the Duelist — Burning Brutality: Grants increased Fire Damage with Attack Skills, Chance to Ignite, Fire Damage over Time Multiplier, Ignite Duration and the notable causes Ignites you inflict to deal Damage faster.
- Flash Freeze now grants 10% chance to Freeze. The small passive leading to it now grants 12% increased Cold Damage (from 16%), and 10% increased effect of Chill (previously just had the damage).
- Added a new stat: -X% to Total Physical Damage Reduction from your Hits. This stat has been added to the following clusters: Ophidian Aim, Bladedancer, Splitting Strikes, Spinecruncher, Farsight, Claws of the Pride, Flaying, Master of Force, Adamant, Inexorable, Martial Experience, Kinetic Impacts and Path of the Warrior
- Added a new, very similar, stat: Enemies you Impale have -X% to Total Physical Damage Reduction against Impale Hits. This has been added to the Forceful Skewering and Swift Skewering clusters.
- Mindless Aggression now grants your minions 10% increased Movement Speed (from 30%).
- Commander of Darkness now grants the increased Attack and Cast Speed aura as a single combined aura rather than a separate aura for each other aura skill you had. This matters for effects that care how many buffs you have, such as Mantra of Flames.
- Unwavering Faith now grants the Physical Damage Reduction and Life Regeneration aura as a single combined aura rather than a separate aura for each other aura skill you had. This matters for effects that care how many buffs you have, such as Mantra of Flames.
- Endless Hunger now causes you to be Unaffected by Bleeding (rather than Immune).
- Assassin’s, Sniper and Recurve Bow basetypes each now have 6.7% base critical strike chance (From 6.5%). They now each have an implicit that grants +15 to 25% to Critical Strike Multiplier
- The Steelwood and Reflex bow basetypes now grant 6% increased movement speed (from 4%) and the Maraketh bow basetype now grants 10% increased movement speed (from 8%).
- Spine, Ivory and Bone Bow basetypes now each have a base attack speed of 1.4 attacks per second (from 1.35) and 6.5% base critical strike chance (from 6%). The damage has been lowered to allow for the changes to attack speed.
- The Ranger Bow basetype now deals slightly more damage.
- All wand basetypes now have 20% more base damage.
- Bows and Wands can now roll increased Attack Speed modifiers of one higher tier than previously (of Acclaim is now the new highest tier). Essence of Zeal has been updated to be consistent with this change.
- Added Fire/Cold/Lighting Damage for bows no longer use the same modifiers as those found on one-handed weapons. They instead now have their own progression, which is approximately 25% stronger than the one-handed equivalents.
- The Faster Start of Energy Shield Recharge crafted modifiers: The lower tier now grants 8 to 11% (from 12 to 17%) and costs an Orb of Alchemy (previously a Regal Orb), and the higher tier now grants 12 to 15% (from 18 to 24%) and costs 4 Orbs of Alchemy (from 1 Exalted Orb).
- You can no longer craft +1 to Maximum number of Curses on Body Armours or Unveil it from Immortal Syndicate members.
- You can no longer craft the Veiled increased Damage of specific elements with an ailment chance on Bows.
- Crafted modifiers which grant Elemental or Chaos Resistance Penetration on weapons now grant up to 9 to 10% (from 14 to 16%).
- The ‘of Crafting’ crafted suffix which previously allowed you to craft any number of additional mods on the item now allows you to craft up to three mods on the item. This affects existing items (items with the mod will now be limited to 2 additional crafts), however any items with more than the allowed number of crafted mods will keep those mods.
- The Veiled and crafted modifiers with hybrid defenses (Armour, Energy Shield or Evasion) and life have had their values halved, and their tier progression split by item type.
Shaper and Elder Modifiers
- The Shaper and Elder Physical Damage added as Fire/Cold/Lightning modifiers on Amulets now grant 8 to 11% (from 10 to 15%) and 12 to 15% (from 16 to 20%) of Physical Damage added as that element.
- The Shaper and Elder Attack Speed and Double Damage modifiers on two-handed weapons now grant to (4 to 6)% chance to deal double damage (from 20%).
- Elemental Penetration suffix modifiers can no longer roll. Prefix versions have been added instead.
- Bows can no longer roll the two-handed weapon version of Added Cold Damage per Dexterity. They can now roll the one-handed weapon version instead.
- Increased Maximum Mana modifiers on Helmets now grant 9 to 11% (from 10 to 15%) and 12 to 15% (from 16 to 20%) increased Maximum Mana.
- The higher tier Increased All Attributes modifier on Amulets can no longer roll.
- The higher tier Elemental Penetration modifiers on Amulets can no longer roll.
- The lower tier Reduced Reflected Physical and Elemental Damage Taken modifiers on Body Armours now grants 100% reduced Reflected Elemental or Physical Damage taken (from 15 to 22%). The higher tier can no longer roll.
- Reduced Reflected Physical and Elemental Damage Taken modifiers on rings now grants 31 to 45% (from 10 to 15%) and 46 to 55% (from 16 to 20%) Reduced Reflected Physical and Elemental Damage Taken.
- Non-Chaos Damage added as extra Chaos Damage modifiers on Amulets now grant 3 to 5% (from 7 to 13%).
- Elemental Damage added as extra Chaos Damage modifiers on one-handed weapons now grant 5 to 6% (from 10 to 15%) and 7 to 8% (from 16 to 20%). Staves and War Staves can now roll a two-handed version of this modifier at values of 10 to 12% and 13 to 15%.
- Recover Mana on Block modifiers now grant 3 to 5% (from 4 to 8%), bringing them in line with the Life and Energy Shield equivalents.
- You can no longer roll the higher tier Additional Chance to Evade Attacks modifier on rings. You can still obtain the lower tier.
- The All Elemental Resistance +% modifiers on belts can now roll up to 13 to 15% (from 9 to 12%) and 16 to 18% (from 13 to 15%).
- You can no longer roll Chance to Maim and Maim Support modifiers on two-handed maces.
- Hybrid Physical Damage and Support/Spell Damage and Support modifiers can no longer roll on two-handed weapons.
- Added Physical and Chaos Damage to Spells on Weapons now grant 32-44 to 66-76 added damage to spells (from 22-30 to 45-52). Two-handed versions now grant 60-73 to 108-122 added damage to spells (from 30-40 to 61-71).
- The Supported by Maim modifier from Serrated Fossils can no longer roll on Body Armours.
- The Damage is taken from Mana before Life from Lucent Fossil is now a prefix to be consistent with the Shaper version of this modifier. Existing versions will remain suffixes.
- The added Maximum Life and increased Life modifier from Pristine Fossils can no longer roll.
- Elemental Penetration modifiers from Fossils now grant 5 to 7% (from 7 to 10%). Two-handed weapon versions now grant 12 to 15% (from 16 to 20%)
- Prismatic Fossil modifiers for weapon elemental penetration now grant 9 to 12% (from 16 to 20%).
Other Item Changes
- The Matatl’s modifier on boots which grant chance to dodge attacks or spells now grants 5 to 6% (from 11 to 12%). Existing versions can be updated with a Divine Orb if you want to be hit more often for some reason.
- Spell Damage modifiers for one-handed weapons can now reach up to 109% increased Spell Damage (from 79%).
- Spell Damage modifiers for two-handed weapons can now reach up to 164% increased Spell Damage (from 115%).
- Spell Damage modifiers granted by Essence of Woe have been updated to be consistent with the above changes.
- The increased Fire/Cold/Lightning Damage prefixes have also been raised to match the above Spell Damage modifier changes.
- Cartographer’s Seals and Unshaping Orbs can no longer be obtained via their recipe as they can no longer be used. They can now be sold to a vendor to recoup the original recipe components.
- Apprentice Cartographer’s Sextants are now called Simple Sextants. Journeyman Cartographer’s Sextants have been renamed Prime Sextants, and Master Cartographer’s Sextants have been renamed Awakened Sextants. They each have new art.
- Sextants are no longer used on maps on your Atlas. They are now used on Watchstones, which can be socketed in your Atlas, and affect all the maps in that region. We’ve reviewed and modified a number of Sextant modifiers.
- The rewards from Legion and Blight encounters have been tweaked.
- The number of gems rewarded by Labyrinth chests has been reduced.
- Modifiers exclusive to the Convoking Wand base-type have had their relative weightings adjusted.
- Skill-specific Labyrinth Enchantments that increase a skill’s Area of Effect have had their values increased to 16% from the Merciless Labyrinth and 24% from the Eternal Labyrinth in almost every case. This does not affect existing enchantments.
- The Blast Rain additional blast Labyrinth enchantment can no longer be acquired from the Merciless Labyrinth. The Eternal Labyrinth enchantment now grants 100% chance for an additional blast (from 75%). Existing items are not affected.
- Labyrinth Enchantments which previously granted addtional Knockback Chance for Sweep instead now grant a chance to gain an Endurance Charge on Kill with Sweep. This affects existing items.
- Labyrinth Enchantments which previously granted increased duration for Ice Shot’s Chilled Ground instead now grant increased Damage with Ice Shot. This affects existing items.
- The Labyrinth Enchantments which grant increased Area of Effect for Shrapnel Shot (now Galvanic Arrow) can no longer be obtained. Existing items with these Enchantments are unaffected.
- Shaper and Elder Scarabs have been reworked. They now add Shaper/Elder Influence outcomes to the map area, grant 30/60/90% more chance to find Elder/Shaper rare items in the area.
- The Price of Protection Divination Card has been temporarily disabled from dropping, because Tier 16 Elder Chateau Maps are no longer a thing. You can still turn in existing sets for a map from the previous series.
- Removed the Sextant upgrading recipe.
Unique Item Balance
- Reach of the Council is not changing in this update. We have some cool plans for this item but could not get them ready in time. We’re very sorry, Reach of the Council fans!
- Volley Fire is now limited to 1, and now causes you to fire 6 additional projectiles on the first and last volley (up from 2). Existing items can be updated to this new value with a Divine Orb, however all versions are affected by the new limit.
- Asenath’s Chant now Triggers a Socketed Spell when you attack with a Bow (previously had a 25% chance). It now has a 0.3 second cooldown on this effect (previously 0.25 seconds). Existing items are affected by this change, although the displayed values may say otherwise.
- Emberwake now causes ignited enemies burn 50 to 65% slower (from 65% slower).
- Hyrri’s Ire now has 100-145 minimum added cold damage to bow attacks (from 173-188) and 160-200 maximum added cold damage to bow attacks (from 240-262)
- Quill Rain now grants 30% less damage (from 40% less damage)
- Xoph’s Nurture no longer has Ignites you inflict spread to other enemies within a radius of 15. Now has Supported by level 20 Ignite Proliferation
- The Unshattered Will’s damage reduction from the Harbinger of Focus’ effect is now multiplicative with other similar effects.
- Snakebite now also grants +5% to Damage over Time Multiplier for Poison per Frenzy Charge. Existing items are unaffected and cannot get this mod.
- Ngamahu’s Flame’s Molten Burst skill now deals 15% more damage. This affects all versions of the item.
- Hallowed Ground no longer overrides the level of monsters within it. It now adds or subtracts a number of levels from the monsters within it based on the mod. This is due to the capacity for it to now have a variable tier. Existing versions of this item are not affected.
- Pitch Darkness no longer drops and cannot be obtained outside of trading with other players.
- Sudden Ignition no longer drops and cannot be obtained outside of trading with other players. It now prevents Burning Arrow from applying its additional burning debuff. This change affects all versions of the item.
- Sibyl’s Lament now reduces Reflected Elemental Damage taken by 80% while in the Left ring slot (from 40%), and reduces Reflected Physical Damage Taken by 80% while in the Right ring slot (from 40%). Existing versions of this item can be updated by using a Divine Orb.
- Yriel’s Fostering’s minions are now immune to damage and cannot be targeted by enemies.
- Voltaxic Rift now also allows you to Shock enemies as if dealing 300% more damage, and allows Shocks you inflict to increase damage taken by enemies by up to a maximum of 100% (as opposed to the normal Shock cap of 50%).
- Two new areas connected to the Epilogue town have been added. They can be accessed by progressing through Kirac’s quest.
- Helena now has something to say about the Order of the Djinn.
- Boss encounters throughout the entire campaign have been made more difficult. In most cases they have significantly more life, will deal more damage, and use some skills and attacks more quickly. This is particularly true for Act bosses. Several bosses also have new skills.
- Many bosses with lengthy introductions (such as the Brine King) now take reduced damage for a short period immediately after becoming targetable.
- Monsters throughout the game now have more armour, from 33% at level 1 up to 2762% at level 84. Sounds a lot scarier than it is, because their base armour is stirringly unimpressive.
- Monster resistances throughout the game have been reviewed and made more consistent. In many cases this has resulted in more resistances on monsters.
- The Wave skill used by some Sea Witch monsters (such as Merveil’s Daughter) is no longer considered a projectile, and will deal damage in a way that more accurately reflects its visuals.
- The Mastermind will now drop Scarabs when slain.
- Safehouse outcomes that reward Scarabs now have a chance to reward additional Scarabs.
- The Atlas has been completely reworked. There’s a new storyline, new boss encounters and new ways to customise your Atlas.
- The Elder, Shaper, and combined Elder and Shaper encounters can still be accessed. If you’re lucky, Zana may offer a Shaper or Elder guardian’s map!
- Elder Guardians are no longer in a separate instance to that of their map.
- Like the bosses throughout the campaign, most map bosses have had their life significantly increased and the damage and speed of several skills increased. Many bosses are now also more resistant to elemental and chaos damage.
- When encountering Zana in a map, the number of map options she offers is now tied to the level of the area.
- Zana’s level, which determines which Map Device crafting options you have available as well as what maps Zana can stock in her vendor window, is now determined by the number of maps you have completed on your Atlas.
- Maps now have a 10% chance to contain a Vaal Side Area, where you can find Sacrifice Fragments and Vaal Gems.
- The Cortex map is now more commonly available from Zana relative to the other Synthesis maps, and is now always level 83 (previously had a variable level). All Synthesis maps now require a minimum level 80 area to appear in Zana’s mission window.
- All 5 Synthesis maps can now drop as unique items. They can only be acquired from map bosses of Tier 11 or greater maps (or Tier 14 or greater for Cortex), or if you’re very, very lucky, maybe Zana will sell you one.
Zana League Mods Available During 3.9.0
Zana’s map device options are now unlocked as you progress through the Atlas quest chain. These are the League Mods available during 3.9.0.
- Fortune Favours the Brave (costs 3 Chaos Orbs): One of these options will be applied at random, including those you have not yet unlocked.
- Essence (costs 2 Chaos Orbs): Area contains 3 Essence Monoliths.
- Anarchy (costs 2 Chaos Orbs): Area is inhabited by 3 additional Rogue Exiles.
- Domination (costs 3 Chaos Orbs): Area contains 3 Shrines.
- Bloodlines (costs 3 Chaos Orbs): Magic monster packs each have a Bloodline mod. Area contans 3 additional magic monster packs.
- Nemesis (Costs 4 Chaos Orbs): Rare monsters each have a Nemesis mod. Area contains 5 additional packs with a Rare monster.
- Beyond (Costs 5 Chaos Orbs): Chance for monsters to open a Beyond portal when slain.
- Legion (Costs 6 Chaos Orbs): Area contains a Legion Monolith.
User Interface Improvements
- The World Panel map now supports curved lines!
- Resonator stack sizes are no longer obscured by the resonator’s sockets in the Delve Stash Tab.
- Added slots in the Fragments Stash Tab for the Elder and Uber Elder fragments.
- Zana no longer awards maps as you complete the Atlas questline. Instead, she awards free uses of her special Map Device league modifiers the first time they are unlocked.
- Added Shrapnel Ballista as a quest reward for the Ranger for completing Breaking Some Eggs in Act 1, and as purchasable from Nessa for the Duelist, Scion, Marauder and Shadow.
- Added Arrow Nova Support as a quest reward for the Ranger for completing The Caged Brute in Act 1, and as purchasable from Nessa for the Duelist, Shadow and Scion.
- Added Ensnaring Arrow as a quest reward for the Ranger for completing Intruders in Black in Act 2, and as purchasable from Yeena for the Duelist, Shadow and Scion.
- Added Artillery Ballista as a quest reward for the Ranger for completing Sever the Right Hand in Act 3, and as purchasable from Clarissa for the Duelist, Scion, Marauder and Shadow.
- Added Barrage Support as a quest reward for the Ranger for completing The Eternal Nightmare in Act 4, and as purchasable from Petarus and Vanja for the Duelist, Shadow and Scion.
- Added Greater Volley Support as a quest reward for the Ranger, Duelist, Shadow and Scion for completing The Eternal Nightmare in Act 4, and as purchasable from Petarus and Vanja for the Templar, Marauder and Witch.
- PvP-only characters can no longer appear on League ladders.
- Barrage Support now applies a 20% damage penalty against players to skills it supports.
- Arrow Nova Support now applies a 25% damage penalty against players to skills it supports.
- Greater Volley now applies a 25% damage penalty against players to skills it supports (this was the case previously when it existed solely on Reach of the Council, too).
- Artillery Ballista now has a 30% damage penalty against players.
- Fixed a bug where Midnight Bargain’s life reservation wouldn’t correctly maintain the hidden life-reserved value if you died for things that cared about amounts of life reserved (such as the Guardian’s Radiant Faith passive).
- Improved how Purifying Flame handles terrain elevation changes. It isn’t perfect, but it is better.
- Fixed a bug where, if you were not the first player to enter a PvP area, you could use Body Swap on a pet. It would, unfortunately, not transform you into the pet.
- Fixed more weird Betrayal states, particularly with certain Safehouse conditions.
- Fixed a bug where Legion monster auras could affect players and other monsters before they had been revealed by activating the Legion monolith.
- Fixed a bug that caused mines to have a different rotation on the game client than the server.
- Fixed a bug where the Smite on-weapon effect would persist if you interrupted the skill with movement.
- Fixed a bug where some projectiles that are supposed to fade over time would persist (invisibly) if they had forked from an enemy.
- Fixed a bug which caused Cobra Lash and Shattering Steel to behave poorly when targeting a location or enemy at a different height. They should now hit cliff-faces a lot less often.
- Fixed a bug where fireflies in the Delve Talisman encounter were not making monsters vulnerable.
- Fixed a bug where Flame Dash with the Stygian effect would work incorrectly while using Predictive networking (or playing on console).
- Fixed a bug where if you used both Phase Run and Withering Step simultaneously, you would get to keep the effects of both (whereas one should remove the other).
- Fixed a bug which caused Act 4 Piety to not use her Cleave nearly as often as she should.
- Fixed a bug where the visual effects from the cycling buffs on Arborix and Augyre would linger.
- Fixed a bug where standing on an enemy’s Consecrated Ground would not correctly show the debuff with a red border.
- Fixed a bug where binding Advanced Mod Descriptions to Ctrl would prevent you from actually seeing the Advanced Mod Descriptions by holding Ctrl.
- Fixed a wonky transition in the Savage Crab’s animation set.
- Fixed a bug where the Syndicate Laboratory could generate with a wall blocking the entrance in the Sarn Slums tileset.
- Fixed a bug which prevented Blighted Relics from taking damage from ground effects.
- Fixed a bug where Thane Jorgin’s “Transform an Amulet into a Tier 3 Talisman” reward would destroy any skins transferred onto the original Amulet.
- Fixed a bug where the Vulnerability from Coward’s Legacy would not be reapplied after dying and reviving in PvP.
- Smoothed out some unnecessarily uneven ground in the Battle-Scarred Hideout.
- Fixed a bug where with Insightfulness and a quality Blood Magic support gem linked to a skill, your skillbar’s tooltip would flicker if your Energy Shield was regenerating and degenerating at the same time.
- Fixed a bug where Blackguard Scouts could have a levitating crossbow just, like, hanging out with them.
- Fixed some bad Delve paths where you’d think you were going one way, and then you’d go another, much longer, way.
- Fixed a bad visual interaction with Celestial Leap Slam and Divine Arcane Wings.
- Fixed a bug where the Enchanted Fossil in the Delve Stash Tab was slightly too far to the left.
- Fixed a bug where the emerge sound played during the Delve spider encounter was unaffected by the volume slider.
- Fixed some variations of the Ornate Planter hideout decoration which didn’t have any collision.
- Fixed a view distance issue in the Towering Hideout.
- Fixed some niche cases of physical damage over time that was unaffected by Immortal Call and Pride.
- Fixed a bug where the Hand of Wisdom and Action and the Hand of Thought and Motion 3D art on the Marauder were both incorrect.
- Fixed a bug where Prophecies that dropped items could trigger the drop on enemies that were unreachable and untargetable (and therefore the item would also be unreachable).
- Fixed a bug where the Heavy Strike visual effect would linger if the skill was cancelled by movement.
- Fixed a bug which caused minions created by Dominating Blow to not use their Shield Charge.
- Fixed a bug introduced in 3.8.0 where monster generation and rewards of specific types from Legion encounters would never roll their maximum values, resulting in less items being awarded than intended.
- Fixed a bug where the extra effects applied to Shocked enemies by Brain Rattler were being modified by some modifiers to Shock Effect.
- Fixed a bug where Shock was considered the same element as Chill for Yoke of Suffering.
- Fixed a bug where Sap, Brittle and Scorch were also considered the same as Chill for the purposes of increasing damage taken from Yoke of Suffering’s effect.
- Fixed a bug where Poison was considered the same as Ignite for the sake of Yoke of Suffering’s effect. Basically, Yoke of Suffering was broken.
Shaper and Elder Modifiers
- Edit: You can no longer roll the higher tier Additional Chance to Evade Attacks modifier on rings. You can still obtain the lower tier.
- Edit: You can no longer craft the Veiled increased Damage of specific elements with an ailment chance on Bows.
- Edit: On-hit effects such as Chance to Knockback are determined by the exploding arrow, however each arrow calculates it’s own damage, including critical strike chance and damaging ailments independently, and these are summed to create one hit. Each arrow checks it’s own critical strike chance, and only has it’s critical multiplier applied to that arrow’s portion of the damage if that arrow rolls a critical strike, but if any of the arrows roll a critical strike, this combined explosion will be considered a crit for on-crit effects. The same is true of damaging ailments such as ignite. For example, if the exploding arrow did not successfully roll a critical strike or ignite, that part of the explosion will have no ignite damage or critical strike multiplier. If two other arrows were also attached at the point of the explosion and they successfully rolled to critically strike, they will add their critical strike damage to the explosion, and the explosion will cause an ignite from their summed ignite damage.
- There are now separate Weapon Elemental Damage modifiers for one-handed and two-handed weapons. All values of Weapon Elemental Damage modifiers have been buffed, with the highest one-handed tier now topping out at 59% (from 42%). The two-handed version tops out at 100%.
- The Elemental Damage modifiers from Prismatic Fossils have had their values lowered. The two-handed version now tops out at 94% (from 120%), while the one-handed version tops out at 49% (from 60%).
- Chance to Bleed, Chance to Poison, Poison Duration and Bleed Duration modifiers can no longer roll as suffixes on weapons. The suffix mods that grant increased Poison/Bleeding damage now have higher values and also grants some chance to inflict Poison/Bleed.
- Added a new Damage over Time Multiplier modifier which can roll on all weapons and quivers as a suffix.
- Added a new modifier which grants an additional arrow which can roll on Bows as a suffix.
- The Bow Attacks fire an additional Arrow modifier from Elder Influence now grants +1 Projectile. This affects existing items with this modifier.
- Unending Hunger now grants 20 seconds of Soul Eater to your Spectre on kill (from 30 seconds).